ARCHIVIST — Above, Marion Holland traces the animal markings from the application to a completed certificate at the Holstein-Friesian Asociation in this 1929 photo. Before computers, the cow’s marking were hand-traced onto carbon graph paper. At left, Holstein’s current archivist Doris Hallock works at a desk.
CARD CATALOG — Holstein employees kept the records on cards filed in large open areas. In this 1920s photo, a skylight which is no longer used provides illumination for the central part of
TRIMMINGS — At right, construction at the Holstein building gets under way. Above, workers place a tree on top of the structure. According to the Wood Truss Council of America, Scandanavian tradition calls for putting an evergreen tree at the top of a building to mark the completion of the building’s major structural components.
OVERLOOK — Cars and people bustle around the Holstein buildings in this 1950s photo soon after the first addition was completed. The Plaza Park’s fountain was operational.
LANDMARKS — At top, The Billings Hotel stands across Plaza Park in this 1925 photo. The site of the hotel is now the parking lot of the Brattleboro Food Coop. At left, “The Spirit of Life” sculpture gleams in the sun shortly after its unveiling in May 1924. Above, construction on the five-story Holstein-Friesian Association building was completed in 1991. It was used by Holstein until Oct. 31, 2000, when it was sold to Marlboro College for use as the college’s technology center.