Brattleboro Historical Society was founded in 1982 as a non-profit organization by a group of local historians and civic leaders interested in Brattleboro’s past. The Society’s mission is to collect and preserve historical artifacts, documents, photographs, and data of persons, places, and events significant to Brattleboro from its earliest days to the present, and to disseminate Brattleboro’s history through research, exhibits, and interpretation of the collection for the education and enjoyment of the community.
Over the years, the Society has acquired approximately 50 organs manufactured by the Estey Organ Company. Information about the company and the individuals who built the industry is available at the Society.
The Society has bound volumes of local newspapers dating from 1833 to 1981 including the Daily Evening Times, the semi-weekly Eagle, the Vermont Phoenix, the Windham County Reformer, and the Brattleboro Reformer.
The Society possesses an outstanding collection of over 4,000 photographs, some dating back to the mid-19th century and the early days of photography. These images capture valuable historical moments and speak to us in a manner more powerful than words alone can convey. In addition to encapsulating the photos in protective mylar sleeves, the Society has embarked on a program of digital imaging the collection for storage in the computer, thereby providing efficient and safe access to photos without disturbing the original prints.